Nikkei Inc. ("Nikkei") will handle personal information in accordance with this policy.
2. Personal information we collect
Nikkei may collect the following personal information.
(1) When you contact us for NMP's services through the website at marketing.nikkei.com ("Website"), apply or register for other services of NMP ("Ancillary Service"), complete our surveys or make enquiries to us about NMP, we may collect:
- Basic information --- such as name
- Contact information --- such as address, phone number and email address
- Work information --- such as job title, industry, department and company name
- Transaction information --- such as purchase history
- Other details about you --- to be specified when we collect
(2) When you access our Website, we may collect:
- Usage of the Website --- such as a history of pages viewed on the Website
- Access environment --- such as IP address, browser and the type of device you are using to access the Website
3. How we use your personal information
Nikkei will use your personal information for the following purposes:
(1) To provide the Service (Website) and/or Ancillary Service
- send you emails that you registered for
- respond to your inquiries or other requests
- invite you to complete surveys and report the results of them, and to send you invitations for events and seminars
- deliver rewards for submission of surveys (if any)
- send other information relevant to you.
(2) To improve, maintain and/or personalize the Service and Ancillary Service
- help us to develop new services and products
- conduct research or a survey on topics such as your satisfaction regarding the products and services we offer.
(3) For advertising
- understand the effectiveness of the advertising which Nikkei serves to you, and to deliver relevant, personalized advertising (unless you opt out)
(4) For any other reasons required to provide the Service and/or Ancillary Service in relation with the above (1) - (3)
4. Who we provide your personal information to
(1) Nikkei will provide your personal information to a third party only when we have a lawful basis for doing so.
(2) Nikkei will provide personal information to some third parties to facilitate the running of our business or to provide specific services you have requested. Generally, Nikkei will provide personal information to:
(3) Nikkei may also provide your personal information to relevant third parties to:
- comply with applicable laws, court orders or other valid legal processes
- protect and defend Nikkei's rights, assets and properties, including to protect against misuse or unauthorized use of the Services
- protect the safety, asset or property of you or the public
We have appropriate technical and administrative security measures in place to help ensure that your personal information is protected against unauthorized or accidental access, use, alteration or loss.
6. Transfer of personal information
As the internet is a global environment, collecting and processing personal information may involve international transmission of such information, including outside of Japan. Therefore, by communicating electronically with Nikkei, you acknowledge and agree to your personal information being processed in this way.
7. Children under 16
Nikkei does not intentionally collect any information on children under 16 years of age. Nikkei will undertake to delete any such information if notified by a parent or guardian.
8. Joint use by Nikkei group companies
Nikkei will jointly use your personal information with overseas local subsidiaries and other group companies of Nikkei.
9. Point of contact for personal information/personal data enquiries
Nikkei will collect your personal information (or personal data) by itself, or through Nikkei group companies.
Nikkei Inc. Head Office: 1-3-7 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8066, Japan
- Nikkei may also handle your personal information in ways other than stated above when Nikkei, as a Japanese company, is required to comply with the Personal Information Protection Law in Japan or other laws and/or regulations where applicable.
11. Handling personal data of EEA residents
This clause applies only to the handling of personal data of users residing in the European Economic Area (EEA), in addition to clauses 1 through 10.
(1) Handling of personal data
We always process personal data on a lawful basis, such as:
This is when you have given us explicit permission to process your personal data for a given purpose.
Legitimate business purposes
This is when we have a legitimate interest, as a business, to process personal data. We take due care to balance our interests against your right to privacy.
This is when we have to process personal data to meet our contractual obligations.
This is when we have to process personal data in order to comply with the law.
(2) Cross border transfers
Personal data may be transferred to countries or jurisdictions outside the EEA such as Japan and the U.S. Please note that such countries or jurisdictions may not have the same data protection laws as the EEA and would not afford many of the rights conferred upon you in the EEA. We will put in place reasonable safeguards to protect information that is transferred in this way.
(3) Your rights
You have the right to access your personal data, request to delete your personal data, request to limit and/or object to the processing of your personal data, and request data portability with regards to your personal data. When Nikkei receives a request based on the rights specified above, Nikkei shall respond to such requests without undue delay.
You also have the right to withdraw your consent to process your personal data. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before withdrawal of the consent.
You can contact us to exercise the above rights which cannot be exercised by configuring cookie preferences. We will keep improving our services so that more preferences can be configured.
You can lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority if you have a complaint regarding Nikkei's processing of your personal data.
(4) Retention of personal data
12. Handling personal information of California residents
This clause applies only to the handling of personal information of users residing in California, in addition to clauses 1 through 10.
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may provide you with additional rights regarding the use of your personal information. These rights include:
- The right to access the personal information we process about you;
- The right to know what personal information is collected about you and if any information is sold or disclosed, and if so, to whom;
- The right to request the deletion of your personal information, if applicable;
- The right to opt-out from the sale of your personal information, if applicable; and
- The right to not be discriminated against for exercising any of the rights above.
You can contact us and exercise any applicable rights which cannot be exercised by configuring cookie preferences. When you contact us and exercise such rights, you may be required to submit proof of your identity and/or address, if we are unable to confirm your identity or cannot verify that you are a California resident. When Nikkei receives a request based on the rights specified above, Nikkei shall respond to such requests without undue delay. You may also designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf, subject to proof of identity and authorization.
Established on March 10, 2020